Welcome

Matthew 17:20, my favorite verse. "... If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you."



Saturday, February 4, 2012

Writing Historical v/s Contemporary

I am currently writing a short historical that I plan to offer for free. I've never written historicals before but the comments of my crit partners leave me to believe I'm on the right path. One of them, Mildred Colvin, mentioned the difference is being able to imagine yourself in that time period. So yes, I see a covered wagon, women in long dresses, and oil or candles are used for light.
Also something to remember is the pattern of speech. If you've read many historicals, they often pronouce most all of their words rather than using contractions. That's a hard one for me to transition to, but I'm trying.

If you have any other suggestions of the difference between these two types of writings, please leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment