Welcome

Matthew 17:20, my favorite verse. "... If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you."



Monday, August 1, 2011

Welcome, Mildred Colvin!

Today, I’m welcoming Mildred Colvin, author of A New Life, to "a mustard seed of faith." Mildrd is a multi-published author of both contemporary and historical romances. Her first book was published in May of 2001 with Heartsong Presents, the romance line for Barbour Publishing. Sadly, Heartsong Presents will cease to exist after this year. Although Mildred has enjoyed eleven published romances, two collections, and an audiobook with Heartsong Presents, she is looking forward to a new venture in e-book publishing. Her hope is to reach many new readers who may not have seen her previously published works as well as retain as many of her former fans as possible. 
Here’s the back cover copy for A New Life:

            She’s city. He’s Country. She just found out they have something in common. Her son!

Kimberly allowed her family to pull her from Travis seven years ago before she knew she was pregnant. Now widowed, she takes the job of housekeeper on Travis’s ranch with one goal in mind. To tell Travis he’s the father of her six-year-old son.

Travis fears for Kim’s city-bred son on his ranch. So he tells Kim her boy had better stay out of the way, or they’ll have to leave.

Kimberly has to decide what’s best—keeping her secret from Travis and her son or taking the chance that Travis will become the father their son desperately needs. 

And a short teaser from the book:

“Kim, are you all right? I was only playing around. I didn’t mean to drop you.”

She brushed her wet hair from her face and laughed. “It would’ve been hard to hold on when you were flying through the air yourself. I’m fine. Just blue and wet.”

He laughed, glancing down at his shirt. “That seems to be going around.”

Then his eyes centered on hers, and she couldn’t look away. She searched his face before touching his cheek with her hand. Although most of it was gone, blue paint still colored his cheek. She wiped it off.

“You didn’t get hurt when you caught me, did you? I mean, I’m not exactly a light weight and I landed on your chest.” Her hand slipped down to touch the second button on his shirt.

He shook his head. “You aren’t heavy. Not at all.”

His gaze dropped to her lips, and she watched his eyes grow even darker than usual. She lifted her face to his and their lips touched.

“Momma, what are you and Travis doing in the pond?”

Kimberly sucked in air. Jamie.

She heard Gran’s snicker before she opened her eyes. She pulled away from Travis and considered sinking into the water, but figured with her luck their audience wouldn’t leave, and she’d still have to come up for air.


First, tell us a little about yourself.

Regina, thank you for inviting me here today. You mentioned that I’ve been writing for Heartsong Presents. I am saddened by that line closing, but am so thankful that Barbour Publishing is still going strong with their other, longer romantic fiction lines. I’m looking forward to this new adventure of e-book publishing and already have three books on Kindle at Amazon.com as well as on Pubit! at Barnes & Noble.com. Learning to Lean was my first e-book and it continually grows in sales. Each sale is a potential new reader and that’s exciting! I look for A New Life to do the same. I hope to reach many ebook readers with the stories I am now working on. In fact, as my backlist from Barbour becomes available, my goal is to rewrite some of those and publish them as ebooks. Currently, I’m working on four books in my Brides of Cedar Creek Series, which were formerly published under different titles. I will be expanding those to make a more fulfilling read with new scenes added.

As a child or teenager, did you ever dream of being an author?

I think I did, but I had such an elevated view of authors that I never expected to become one. I loved writing assignments in school when other students groaned at the very thought. My English classes helped bring my grade-point average to an acceptable level. I’ve always loved pencils, pens, and paper and can spend hours just jotting ideas down. Crazy, I know, but true.

Share something about your day-to-day life that might help a reader feel as though they know you a little better.

I am the mother of three adult children. Yep, they’ll always be kids to me. I also have three grandchildren who are growing up even faster than their parents did. My husband is retired, so I use him as a second opinion for my stories. He’s helped me work through more than one tangle. My oldest son is a fantastic brainstormer/plotter. He comes up with such great stuff. And my daughter is wonderful for helping with publicity. Couldn’t do it without her! All three kids and the grandkids, too, are my most enthusiastic supporters. They are all great!

 When did you first begin writing, and why do you write still?

When my children were small, they wanted me to tell them stories. That started the Marvin, the Bear stories just for them. Marvin didn’t always do what he should, but he always learned from his mistakes. I enjoyed that so much I took a brief course in writing, still thinking I might write for children. Then my dad made a comment in Sunday school class that stuck with me. He mentioned a woman who went to Alaska in the late 1890s to nurse her husband who had been searching for gold and had become ill. So I wrote In Search of Gold, which became a very long book. And it’s never been published. Maybe someday after extensive rewriting!

Why do I still write? Because I don’t see a place to stop. My first published book, Circle of Vengeance, was written with my older sister, Jean Norval. About a week before she died she made me promise to continue writing. That was about seven published books ago, so I’ve kept that promise. As long as God gives me the words, I’ll write them. 

How many books do you have published and where can they be found?

My Heartsongs can be found on the publisher’s website at http://barbourbooks.com or at http://heartsongpresents.com. Some can still be found on Amazon.com. I have eleven Heartsong Presents paperbacks, two 3-in-one collections, and one audio book on CD. In addition to those, I have three e-books available on Kindle at http://amazon.com or on Nook at http://barnes&noble.com. I hope to eventually publish my e-books on Smashwords as well. Also, they will eventually be available in print, hopefully by this fall. My e-book titles are, Learning to Lean, A New Life, and Lesson of the Poinsettia.

Where do you get ideas for your books?

A New Life and Learning to Lean were brought to life by other stories I had read. Let me assure you, neither are anything like the other author’s stories. When that happens, a spark is lit and a new idea begins to form. Questions such as, What if this happened instead? or Why couldn’t the characters be like this? take form in my mind and before long, I’ve got a new story going off in another directions and often in a different century. Another source I draw from is my ancestry. I’m working on the first book in a series of four that draws heavily from the old stories of my past. Those are fun to work with.

How do you choose names for your characters?

As my characters take shape, I play with various names until one fits. After that the name becomes part of that person.

How do you get to know your characters?

I create a chart on each of my stories. In it, I’m able to become well acquainted with my characters, but they truly become real as the story progresses.

What themes do you write about?

I seem to do a lot of writing on forgiveness. I’m not sure why? Maybe because I feel to forgive or to be forgiven is so important. Trust is another favorite of mine. I try to write whatever God has laid on my heart as it fits the story.

Does your faith affect your writing? How?

Yes, definitely. At my last book signing, I was talking to a lady about my writing. She asked if all my books are Christian. My answer was yes. Some may not carry as strong a message as another, but every book is written to glorify God and portray some area of need each of us may find in our lives. I love it when a reader tells me she identified with one of my characters as she has gone through a similar trial.

Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?

My advice for aspiring writers is to give up if you can. If you find that you can’t stop writing, then don’t let anything discourage you. Learn everything you can about the craft of writing. Study the how-to books or find helpful articles on-line. And above all, write. Every day if you can. Pray over your work and for God’s will to be accomplished in what you write even if you only have a readership of one or two. Join a critique group and listen to what your partners tell you, but make your own judgments. You know your book and your writing better than anyone else.

Mildred can also be found at Romantic Reflections by going to http://mildredcolvin.blogspot.com. I’m also a regular contributor to Infinite Characters with five other authors. You can find me there at http://infinitecharacters.com.

Mildred will be giving away a copy of her ebook, A New Life on a PDF file. Leave a comment below to be included in the drawing.


7 comments:

  1. A New Life sounds delightful, I can't wait to read it. Thanks for sharing, it was so nice to learn more about you and your great family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jackie for coming by! I hope you enjoy A New Life when you read it. :)

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mildred doesn't mention it here, but she's also very talented in writing the dialect of her "old west" characters which enrich her stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice interview. I enjoyed learning more about you, Mildred.

    I've already read A New Life and can say it's a great read that will pull at your heartstrings.

    I wish Mildred much success with all of her writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. June and Gail, thanks for being here! And those nice things you've said. I appreciate them. And, June, I have fun with my "old west" characters.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great interview! It was nice to learn more about one of my favorite authors. A New Life was/is a very good read. I'm looking forward to reading whatever Mildred has next for us.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Jamie! You are so kind! I'm looking forward to reading your wagon train story in paperback. Very good!

    ReplyDelete