Welcome

Matthew 17:20, my favorite verse. "... If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you."



Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Interview with Jamie Adams

Let's welcome Jamie Adams to Faith of a Mustard Seed. Jamie is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers and I'm blessed enough to have her in my critique group.



Jamie is an aspiring author who has experience freelancing for articles online but is now pursuing publication for her novels. I know from critiquing her work she'll get there and soon-- she's very gifted. How long have you been writing, Jamie?

Thanks Regina. I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember. I ‘published’ my first book in 6th grade when my teacher gave the class an assignment to write and illustrate a story as well as design the cover. They were even put in the school library.

Clever teacher, what a way to inspire children!

In high school, my English teacher suggested if I wanted to be a writer I should keep a daily journal. It was great advice because now I can look back over the years and relive memories that I would have otherwise forgotten.

After college I took a correspondence course with the Institute of Children’s literature. I worked one on one with a published writer. It was a very rewarding experience and I value the time she spent helping me improve my writing skills. After the course I wrote a children’s book and promptly sent it off, eagerly waiting for my first sell. A few weeks later I received a form rejection letter.

At that time I didn’t have the support of a writing community that I do now. I was very naive to the publishing world. Crushed, I put my manuscript away and stopped writing. Newly married I concentrated on building our home and family. During the next five years I lost both my parents and two sisters to cancer. I also had a difficult twin pregnancy that ended with preemies in NICU and I suffered a mild stroke.

How very sad. What kept you going?

It was a hard time but the Lord was my strength. My need to write returned and would not be ignored. I enjoy reading all types of books but am particularly drawn to historical. I love cowboy stories, western, wagon trains, anything around the last half of the 19th century.

Ten years ago, I was doing an online search and came across a fan fiction sight dedicated to one of my favorite shows from the 60’s – The Big Valley. At the time I’d never heard of fan fiction. I read stories written by other fans of the show and was hooked. The members of The Writing Desk are so friendly and encouraging that I eventually started writing short stories to share with them.

It was through the encouragement and support I received from this group that I regained the confidence to write again. If it weren’t for the lifelong friendships I’ve made there I doubt that I would be writing today.

The more I wrote, the more I felt the need to use my writing to honor my savior. One of the friends I made at the Writing Desk went on to become a multi-published inspirational author. When I asked her advice on seeking publication she directed me to American Christian Fiction Writers. I’ve been a member since last December.

We are self-employed and our kids schooling is done online so there’s a lot going on around our house. I do most of my writing in the evening but write any time I can catch a few moments.

So where do you see your writing going?

I want to use my writing for God’s glory. I pray that the stories I write will in some way be an encouragement to Christians and a help to those searching for answers. One running theme I see in my writing is the peace that comes from yielding to God’s will. Some of the concepts may not be popular or politically correct but being in the center of God’s will is the best place to be.

What fuels it the most, is it the messages you want to get out, or is it more for a healing tool?

I’m shy and as a child internalized everything. I’m the type that is most alone when in a crowd. Writing has been a form of expression and a definitely a healing tool in my life.

Do you have any advice for other aspiring authors?

Write what you would like to read in a book. Being part of a critique group has helped me grow as a writer and I’ve found a wealth of information by joining American Christian Fiction Writers.

Thank you so much for stopping by, Jamie. I wish you many blessings toward publication!


If you have any questions or comments, leave them here and Jamie will stop by to answer them.

2 comments:

  1. Jamie it was nice to learn more about you. My nieces are twins and they were born pre-maturely.
    I enjoyed hearing your writing journey. It sounds like you don't get many quiet moments at home which makes it more impressive that you squeeze in time to write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamie! How nice to read about your life and writing endeavors. I've read your writing and it's very good. I sincerely believe you'll be published soon. Rejections are part of the publishing world, but a well-written, captivating story and perseverance will win the acceptance you need.

    God bless,
    Mildred

    ReplyDelete